Monday, June 18, 2012

Mini Blueberry Lemon Loaves.

Already, the blueberries from our blueberry picking adventure  have been put to good use. Many have been eaten by the handful. But a select few have been privileged enough to be turned into Blueberry Lemon Bread.



Blueberry Lemon Bread is one of those delicious treats that is somewhere between cake & bread...the perfect company for your coffee.

Currently, this is what is sitting out on my kitchen counter, waiting to greet me at breakfast. Morning couldn't get here any sooner!

Here is the recipe: (Given to me by a friend. I am unsure where it originally came from.)

Blueberry Lemon Bread

6 Tbsp. butter (room temperature)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp. grated lemon rind
1 cup blueberries
2 tsp. flour
1/3 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. lemon juice

Cream butter; gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating at medium speed until well-blended.

Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition

Combine flour, baking powder & salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in grated lemon rind. Dredge blueberries in flour; fold into batter.

Pour into loaf pan. Bake 350° for 55 minutes. (I did 4 mini loaves 350° for 30 minutes.)

Combine 1/3 cup sugar & lemon juice in small sauce pan; heat until sugar dissolves. Puncture top of bread & pour syrup over bread. Cool for 30 minutes.  (Last time I made this recipe, I used all of the syrup & the bread was lemon overload! Today I used about half & am hoping for a more subtle hint of lemon.)


Dredge?
To "dredge the blueberries in flour" simply means to lightly coat them with flour. This will help them hold their shape & keep from sinking during baking. (See picture above of dredged blueberries about to be folded into batter. )

1 comment:

  1. Um, my mouth is literally watering!! I may have to try this recipe. Thanks for clarifying "dredge" too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you!